The Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine doesn’t have medical students yet — let alone graduates — but it does have graduates in its well-established bachelor’s and master’s degree programs in the Department of Speech and Hearing Sciences. New graduate Tiana Bennett (above) is one of them; she was named one of the student recipients of the WSU Spokane Chancellor’s Awards.
Fourteen other students have also won awards for their outstanding scholarship, leadership and service during the just-completed academic year. Here’s a rundown for the undergraduate awards:
- Jennifer Owens was named the Outstanding Senior in Speech and Hearing Sciences.
- Senior Courtney Holter received a Scottish Rite Foundation Scholarship.
- Seniors Haille Heid and Sarah Vest received Gray awards for their posters exhibited at the WSU Showcase for Undergraduate Research and Creative Activities (SURCA).
- Haille Heid also received a Mission Support Alliance Employee Dependent Scholarship.
- Sarah Vest was awarded the department’s inaugural Meritorius Academic and Community Project Award.
- Seniors Roxanne Adams and Rachel Mulgrew received a Pass with Distinction for their writing portfolios.
- Senior Talia Avalos was recognized during commencement ceremonies for her determination and scholarship.
- Junior Angel Candido was awarded the Maynard Lee Daggy Scholarship in Speech and Hearing Sciences.
- Junior Natalie Hoogner was named the Edward Gwin Scholar in Speech and Hearing Sciences.
- Alexis Elwood received the Outstanding Speech and Hearing Sciences Graduate Student Commencement Award.
- Caitlin McCaslin was honored with the Lynn Larrigan Clinical Excellence Award.
- Kaitlyn Miller was awarded a Blankinship Scottish Rite Fellowship.
- Noelle Pinigree was awarded the Miller/RiteCare Fellowship from the Scottish Rite Foundation of Washington.
- Megan Brendal received a Research Assistantship for Diverse Scholars from the WSU Graduate School.
Also, Clinical Associate Professor Amy Meredith was named ASWSU Spokane Students’ Choice Award for Faculty Excellence.
Congratulations to the award recipients! Many of the graduated seniors will be back on the WSU Spokane in August to begin work toward their master’s degrees.