MD program and Honors College Pathway Program
The Honors College Pathway (HCP) is focused on admitting highly qualified WSU Honors College students who align with the WSU Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine mission, vision, and goals.
Requirements to apply to the HCP:
- Be a resident of Washington (verified through documentation) or meet three of four ties to the state as outlined on the MD admissions page
- Be a U.S. Citizen or U.S. Permanent Resident
- Be 21 years of age upon earning the MD degree
- Have and maintain a cumulative undergraduate GPA at WSU of 3.5 or higher
- Submit an application and all supporting documentation by the application deadline.
Supporting documents include:
- Unofficial transcripts for all college coursework taken at WSU and elsewhere
- Two letters of recommendation (LOR):
- 1 required from professor of a completed course
- 1 required from another professor, Health Professions Center, employment supervisor, or volunteer supervisor
- Submit transcripts to the College of Medicine Admissions email: email@example.com
- Letter writers should submit their letters of recommendation as an attachment directly to the College of Medicine Admissions email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants should not receive these letters directly.
- Ask letter writers to use the subject line “WSU College of Medicine Pathway Application LOR”
- If selected to interview, applicants must be able to interview with the WSU College of Medicine on the chosen date in June via Zoom
- Plan to apply to the MD program through the AMCAS application 1.5 years from the point of application to the HCP
- Plan to enroll into medical school three fall semesters after applying to the HCP
Timeline for pathway selection for cohort enrolling into the WSU College of Medicine in Fall 2025:
- Week of January 16, 2023 – HCP Application Open
- March 31, 2023, 5:00 pm PT – HCP Application Deadline
- April 2023 – Screening of applications
- June 2023 – Interview date, if selected to interview
- June 2023 – Selection decisions and notifications
- Please review this flier for details
Each year, a cohort totaling up to 10% of the College of Medicine’s MD class size for the cohort’s planned enrollment year into medical school will be selected.
Programming and Requirements to Remain in the Pathway
Programming within the pathway will include:
- Visits and mentoring by the College of Medicine MD leadership, faculty, and/or medical students
- Workshops covering components of the application such as the personal statement, activities students should be involved in while in college, completing the application, and mock interviews
- Connecting with health care providers
- Opportunities for research
- Individual advising with College of Medicine admissions team members
- MCAT preparation
WSU Honors College students accepted into the HCP must meet the following requirements to remain eligible*:
- Maintain a cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.5 at WSU
- Take and earn an MCAT score consistent with the requirement for all medical school applicants to the MD program, a threshold pairing for a 3.5 cumulative undergraduate GPA (currently a 43% tile rank or higher – subject to change) before the end of May of your matriculation year to the College of Medicine
- Take required coursework for entry into the College of Medicine MD program; 4 SCH each (with lab): Biology, Physics, Organic Chemistry
- Sign a commitment letter indicating agreement to abide by conditions for acceptance into the College of Medicine
- Complete an AMCAS application (including letters of recommendation from the designated application year) and a secondary application
- Interview during the regular interview season for their entry year to the MD program
*These requirements may be altered. Acceptance to the WSU College of Medicine MD program is contingent upon the Admissions Committee deeming the application and interview free of red flags that would preclude them from accepting an HCP student.
Please visit the WSU Honors College website for more information.