MD program and Honors College Pathway Program
This pathway program is focused on admitting highly qualified WSU Honors College students who fit the WSU Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine mission, vision, and goals. Select Honors College students who have conveyed an interest in medicine as a career join a pre-med cohort. Pre-pathway programing for freshman and sophomores or transfer and planned gap-year students includes workshops, overview of the WSU College of Medicine, and an explanation of the admissions process.
Beginning in Spring of 2020, the first cohort will apply to the formal pathway program. Requirements to apply to the HCP:
- Be a resident of Washington or meet three of four ties to the state as outlined on the MD admissions page
- Be a U.S. Citizen or U.S. Permanent Resident
- Have and maintain an undergraduate overall GPA at WSU of 3.5 or higher
- Submit an application (NOW OPEN). As part of the application, you will be required to submit the following:
- Unofficial transcripts for all college coursework taken at WSU and elsewhere
- Two letters of recommendation:
- 1 required from professor of a completed course
- 1 required from another professor, Health Professions Center, employment supervisor, or volunteer supervisor
- Please submit transcripts to the Honors College. Letter writers should submit their letters directly to the Honors College (students should not receive these). Both can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “WSU College of Medicine Pathway Application”
- If selected to interview, applicants must be able to interview on the chosen date in May at the WSU College of Medicine on the WSU Health Sciences Spokane campus.
- Plan to apply to the MD program 2.5 years from the point of application to the pathway program (i.e. application opens in spring—plan to enroll into medical school three fall semesters from that point of ~ 2.5 years)
Timeline for pathway selection for cohort enrolling into the WSU College of Medicine in Fall 2022:
- Week of January 27-31, 2020 – HCP Application Open
- March 31, 2020 – HCP Application Deadline
- April 2020 – Screening of applications
- May 11, 2020 – Interview date, if selected to interview
- May/June 2020 – Selection decisions and notifications
- Please review this flier for details.
Each year, a cohort totaling up to 10% of the College of Medicine’s MD class size for the cohort’s planned enrollment year into medical school will be selected. Students can plan to enroll immediately after graduating from WSU or following an approved gap year between college and medical school.
Programming and Requirements to Remain in the Pathway
Programming within the pathway will include:
- Visits and mentoring by the College of Medicine MD leadership, faculty, and/or medical students
- Workshops covering components of the application such as the personal statement, activities students should be involved in while in college, completing the application, and mock interviews
- Connecting with health care providers
- Learn about different medical specialties
- Opportunities for clinical experience and research
WSU Honors College students accepted into the pathway must meet the following requirements to remain eligible*:
- Take the MCAT in time to apply at their designated timeframe
- Earn a score on the MCAT consistent with requirements for all applicants to the MD program which is a threshold pairing with a 3.5 overall GPA (currently a 43%tile rank or higher – subject to change)
- Maintain an overall GPA of 3.5 at WSU
- Take required coursework for entry into the College of Medicine MD program; 4 SCH each of (with lab)
- Organic Chemistry
- Sign a commitment letter indicating agreement to abide by all requirements including not applying to any other medical school
- Complete an AMCAS application and secondary application as well as letters of recommendation during the designated application year
- Interview during the regular interview season for their entry year to the MD program
*These requirements may be altered. Acceptance to the WSU College of Medicine MD program is contingent upon the Admissions Committee deeming the application and interview free of red flags that would preclude them from accepting a WSU Honors College student.
Please visit the WSU Honors College website for more information.