About the College
The Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine will be a unique resource for the State of Washington, converging on solutions to the health care triple aim of improving the patient experience of care, keeping populations healthy, and decreasing the cost of care, all while improving the work life of health care providers. Through a culture based on valuing the individual, we will be resourceful, agile, inventive and generous in serving the people of the state and beyond, to develop healthier populations through research, innovation, interprofessional education and patient centered care.
Inspiring people to solve problems in challenging healthcare environments.
The Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine will:
- Be informed by the communities and populations we serve to enhance our educational, research, and clinical missions.
- Increase the number of physicians serving in Washington State’s workforce.
- Attract students interested in taking care of patients in challenging health care environments including rural areas and vulnerable populations.
- Develop educational pathways that facilitate access to medicine as a profession for local and regional residents.
- Develop a culture of entrepreneurship for faculty, staff and students.
- Develop leaders through training and experiential opportunities.
- Advance and apply the practical knowledge and scholarship of our faculty and students through research efforts focused on “sustaining health.”
- Develop a curriculum aligned with the future health care needs, including the promotion of wellness and population health.
- Align our education, research, and clinical service missions to converge on solutions to the healthcare triple aim of improving the patient experience of care, keeping populations healthy, and decreasing the cost of care.
- Foster interprofessional learning across the health sciences colleges and clinical training sites in innovative and transformational ways that produce better care and improve the work life of health care providers.
- Create and sustain a College of Medicine community that is diverse, inclusive, and equitable.
- Be recognized for efficiency, excellence, and innovation in medical education.
- Develop a healthcare practice where innovative care models improve patient outcomes.
- Operate in a fiscally responsible manner in using the resources of the students, college, university, state, and other external funding sources.
Clinical partnerships with Washington State University’s Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine convey substantial benefits to you as a health care provider, and ultimately to the people you serve. Partnerships don’t depend on the presence of university-owned infrastructure. Instead, the University extends itself to you.
The College’s community-based medical education curriculum brings students into your practice. And since new physicians often remain in the region where they complete their clerkships and residency, your partnership with the College will strengthen the future of medical care where you are.
Your physicians are invited to apply for clinical faculty positions, which come with full access to the University’s statewide network of research and professional development resources. And most important, as clinical faculty, they will be able to teach and mentor the next generation of your community’s health care providers.