Gail D. Chermak, PhD
Associate Dean For Faculty Affairs
Dept. of Speech & Hearing Sciences
Fellow and Honors of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, Fellow of the American Academy of Audiology. Certificate of Clinical Competence in Audiology (CCC-A)
Seminar in Central Auditory Processing Disorder
- Central auditory processing disorder
- International rehabilitation program development
- Iliadou, V., Kiese-Himmel, C., Bamiou, D-E, Grech, H. Ptok,M., Chermak, G.D., Thai-Van, H., Stokkereit Mattson, T., & Musiek, F.E. (2019). Clinical expertise is core to an evidence-based approach to auditory processing disorder: A reply to Neijenhuis et al 2019. Frontiers in Neurology, 10:1096. doi: 10.3389/fneur.2019.01096.
- Weihing, J., Chermak, G.D., Musiek, F. (2019). A response to “The mystery of unexplained variance-some comments on Brenneman et al (2017).” Journal of the American Academy of Audiology, 30, 735. DOI: 10.3766/jaaa.18033
- Heacock, R.M., Pigeon, A., Chermak, G.D., Musiek, F.E., & Weihing, J. (2019). Enhancement of the auditory late response (N1-P2) by presentation of stimuli from an unexpected location. Journal of the American Academy of Audiology, 30, 451-458.
- Musiek, F.E., Chermak, G.D., & Cone, B. (2019) Central deafness: a review of past and current perspective. International Journal of Audiology, https://doi.org/10.1080/14992027.2019.1606458
- Iliadou, V., Weihing, J., Chermak, G.D., & Bamiou, D-E. (2018). Otoacoustic emission suppression in children diagnosed with central auditory processing disorder and speech in noise perception deficits. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, 111, 39-46.
- Chermak, G.D., Bamiou, D-E., Iliadou, V., & Musiek, F.E. (2017). Practical guidelines to minimize language and cognitive confounds in the diagnosis of CAPD: A brief tutorial. International Journal of Audiology, 56(7), 499-506.
- Chermak, G.D., Musiek, F.E., & Weihing, J. (2017). Beyond controversies: The science behind central auditory processing disorder. The Hearing Review, 24(5), 20-24.
- Iliadou, V., Bamiou, D-E, Sidiras, C., Moschopoulos, N., Tsolaki, M., Nimatoudis, I., & Chermak, G.D. (2017). The use of the Gaps-In-Noise test as an index of the enhanced left temporal cortical thinning associated with the transition between mild cognitive impairment and Alzheimer’s disease. Journal of the American Academy of Audiology, 28(5), 463-471.
- Musiek, F.E., Shinn, J., Chermak, G.D., & Bamiou, D-E. (2017). Perspectives on the pure tone audiogram. Journal of the American Academy of Audiology, 28(7), 655-671.
- Brenneman, L., Cash, E., Chermak, G.D., Guenette, L., Masters, G., Musiek, F.E., Brown, M., Ceruti, J., Fitzegerald, K., Geissler, K., Gonzalez, J., & Weihing, J. (2017). The relationship between central auditory processing, language, and cognition in children being evaluated for central auditory processing disorder (CAPD). Journal of the American Academy of Audiology.
- Chermak, G. D. (2016, August). 20Q: Central auditory processing disorder – diagnosis and intervention. AudiologyOnline, Article 17875. Retrieved from www.audiologyonline.com.
- Chermak, G.D. (2016, July). 20Q: Central auditory processing disorder-fundamentals. AudiologyOnline, Article 17765. Retrieved from www.audiologyonline.com
- Musiek, F.E., & Chermak, G.D. (2016). Perspectives on central auditory processing disorder. Audiology Today, 28(1), 24-28.
- Sidiras C., Iliadou V., Chermak G.D., & Nimatoudis I. (2016). Assessment of functional hearing in Greek speaking children diagnosed with central auditory processing disorder. Journal of the American Academy of Audiology, 27(5), 395-405.
- Iliadou, V., Chermak, G.D., & Bamiou, D. (2015). Differential diagnosis of speech sound disorder (phonological disorder): Audiological assessment beyond the pure tone audiogram. Journal of the American Academy of Audiology, 26, 423-435.
- Weihing, J., Chermak, G.D., & Musiek, F.E. (2015). Auditory training for central auditory processing disorder (CAPD). Seminars in Hearing, 36 (4), 199- 215.
- Weihing, J., Guenette, L., Chermak, G.D., Brown, M., Ceruti, J., Fitzgerald, K., Geissler, K., Gonzalez, J., Brenneman, L., & Musiek, F.E. (2015). Characteristics of pediatric performance on a test battery commonly used in the diagnosis of central auditory processing disorder (CAPD). Journal of the American Academy of Audiology, 26, 652-669.
Dr. Gail D. Chermak is an internationally recognized authority on central auditory processing disorder (CAPD). She has authored or edited six books, published 130 papers, book chapters, and monographs, and presented more than 220 peer reviewed and invited lectures, seminars, and posters at national and international professional and scientific conferences. Her two-volume Handbook of Central Auditory Processing Disorder, edited with Frank Musiek, now in its 2nd edition, is considered the definitive text on CAPD. She has received numerous honors and awards, including the 2010 American Academy of Audiology’s (AAA) Distinguished Achievement Award and Honors of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) in 2014, the highest honor the Association bestows.
Funded by the Kellogg Foundation, the World Institute on Disability and the Fulbright American Republics Research Program, Chermak has traveled extensively, consulting with public and private agencies in the area of rehabilitation service delivery. She has chaired and served on a number of national professional committees and task forces, including the 2005 ASHA Work Group on CAPD, which authored a technical report and position statement, and the 2010 AAA Task Force, which authored clinical practice guidelines for the diagnosis, treatment, and management of children and adults with CAPD. She served as program chair for the first and second global conferences on CAPD held in conjunction with the 2012 and 2014 AAA conventions, she served on the program committee for the AAA Auditory Research Conference (ARC) in 2016, and she served as conference and program co-chair for the Third Global Conference on CAPD held in conjunction with the AAA Conference and Exposition in 2019.
Dr. Chermak is professor of audiology and chair of the Department of Speech and Hearing Sciences, and associate dean for faculty affairs, Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine, at Washington State University Health Sciences Spokane, Washington.