About the college
The Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine will be a unique resource for the State of Washington, converging on solutions to the health care triple aim of improving the patient experience of care, keeping populations healthy, and decreasing the cost of care, all while improving the work life of health care providers. Through a culture based on valuing the individual, we will be resourceful, agile, inventive and generous in serving the people of the state and beyond, to develop healthier populations through research, innovation, interprofessional education and patient-centered care.
Inspiring people to solve problems in challenging health care environments.
The Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine will:
- Be informed by the communities and populations we serve to enhance our educational, research and clinical missions.
- Increase the number of physicians serving in Washington State’s workforce.
- Attract students interested in taking care of patients in challenging health care environments, including rural areas and vulnerable populations.
- Develop educational pathways that facilitate access to medicine as a profession for local and regional residents.
- Develop a culture of entrepreneurship for faculty, staff and students.
- Develop leaders through training and experiential opportunities.
- Advance and apply the practical knowledge and scholarship of our faculty and students through research efforts focused on “sustaining health.”
- Develop a curriculum aligned with the future health care needs, including the promotion of wellness and population health.
- Align our education, research and clinical service missions to converge on solutions to the health care triple aim of improving the patient experience of care, keeping populations healthy, and decreasing the cost of care.
- Foster interprofessional learning across the health sciences colleges and clinical training sites in innovative and transformational ways that produce better care and improve the work life of health care providers.
- Create and sustain a College of Medicine community that is diverse, inclusive and equitable.
- Be recognized for efficiency, excellence and innovation in medical education.
- Develop a health care practice where innovative care models improve patient outcomes.
- Operate in a fiscally responsible manner in using the resources of the students, college, university, state and other external funding sources.