As noted in our mission statement, we want to develop exceptional physicians, fulfilled individuals, and innovative leaders. In multiple ways, we make a real effort to respect residents’ time, improve their work experience, and encourage them to lead rich lives in and out of the hospital.
Both the program leadership and attending physicians are easily accessible, supportive, open to new ideas, and heavily invested in resident education. Attendings provide a nice balance of support and autonomy, giving residents graduated responsibility as their clinical skills improve. On inpatient months, subspecialty attendings are amiable and accessible for consultation. Electives provide further opportunities for working one-on-one in an outpatient environment. Whether planning a career in general internal medicine or aiming for fellowship training, these relationships can be incredibly valuable.
The residency program aims to bring awareness to the importance of resident physician well-being and support resident efforts to be healthy, build resiliency, and find meaning and joy in their work. Activities supporting our resident wellness include:
- A mentoring and leadership program
- Wellness curriculum
- Resources that support holistic wellbeing—emotional, mental and physical health
- Social gatherings and networking opportunities for residents and their families
- Healthy food and snacks in the resident lounge
Wellness and well-being are among the highest priorities for our residency program. Currently spearheaded by Drs. Emily Savage & Erin Sutcliffe, the Wellness Committee hopes to inspire a culture of wellness throughout the three years of residency by supporting resident-led wellness initiatives including:
- Take part in ‘difference maker’ community service opportunities
- Distribute a monthly Wellness Newsletter announcing upcoming local events and gifting a ‘Wellness Basket’ to wellness champion/s
- Organize running and hiking outings
- Organize a wellness half-day activity during each non-inpatient month
- Schedule didactic time devoted to well-being
- Consistently support and promote resident-led wellness initiatives
- Promote wellness curriculum like resiliency, mindfulness, and wellness exercises into many of our educational conferences
Coaching for Success Program
The WSU Everett IM Residency Coaching Program is committed to the success of each individual resident. Residents are assigned a faculty coach that is selected and trained to support the resident throughout their training. Coaches work with residents to establish and achieve professional development goals, maintain their well being, and truly personalize their training experience.
Drs. Roger Bush & Jerry Koh, take meticulous care to match each resident with a senior physician, whose sole priority is the resident’s learning and development. This system enables coaches to give open, honest and constructive feedback, and residents to freely communicate and work on professional improvement goals.