The Master of Science Coordinated Program in Dietetics, Nutrition and Exercise Physiology (MS CPD) is designed for students whose career goals are to become eligible to take the Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) exam, administered by the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) through the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Graduates of the MS CPD are expected to function effectively as entry-level dietetics practitioners in a clinical, management, and community setting. The supervised practice experience requirement prior to the exam is 1,200 hours, which consists of 440 hours in a clinical rotation, 160 hours in a food management rotation, 200 hours in a community rotation, and 400 hours in an exercise internship.
Updated 2024 Graduate Degree Requirement
Effective January 1, 2024, CDR will require a minimum of a master’s degree to be eligible to take the credentialing exam to become an RDN. For more information about this requirement visit CDR’s website: https://www.cdrnet.org/graduatedegree.
In addition, CDR requires that individuals complete coursework and supervised practice in program(s) accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND). Graduates who successfully complete the ACEND-accredited MS CPD at WSU are eligible to apply to take the CDR credentialing exam to become an RDN.
WSU MS CPD MISSION STATEMENT
The mission of the WSU MS CPD is centered around the preparation of entry-level registered dietitian nutritionists who promote optimum health and wellness for individuals and communities through the integration of nutrition and exercise physiology in a variety of dietetic career paths.
Program Goals and Measurable Outcomes
Program Goal One
The program will prepare graduates to be credentialed entry-level Registered Dietitian Nutritionists (RDNs).
(1) At least 80% of the students will complete the program/degree requirements within three years (150% of the program length).
(2) All preceptors who respond to the annual program evaluation survey regarding the supervised practice rotations will rate the preparation of each dietetic student’s knowledge and skills at a level of satisfactory “3” or above.
(3) At the conclusion of the supervised practice rotations, 80% of the MS CPD students will rate their preceptors and supervised practice experiences at a level of satisfactory “3” or above.
(4) The program’s one-year pass rate (i.e. graduates who pass the registration exam within one year of first attempt) on the CDR credentialing exam for dietitian nutritionists is at least 80%.
(5) Eighty percent of the program graduates take the CDR credentialing exam for dietitian nutritionists within 12 months of program completion.
(6) At least 80% of the MS CPD graduates who respond to the survey administered one-year post graduation will rate their graduate preparation at a level of satisfactory “3” or above for job marketability.
(7) Of those graduates seeking positions in dietetics, 70% or more of MS CPD graduates who sought employment in dietetics will be employed within 12 months of program completion.
(8) At least 80% of the employers who respond to the survey given to them by the CPD graduate at one-year post-graduation will rate the preparation of the graduate at a level of satisfactory “3” or above.
Program Goal Two
The program will prepare MS CPD graduates to test for the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) credentials, such as the Certified Exercise Physiologist® (ACSM-EP®).
(1) At least 80% of all surveyed graduates from the MS CPD will rate having the interdisciplinary training in exercise and nutrition as advantageous “3” or above when working with patients/clients.
(2) Graduates who choose to test for ACSM credentialing will achieve a first-time pass rate of at least 70% within a three-year period.
Outcomes data is available upon request from MS CPD Director, Dr. Janet Beary, email@example.com.
Learn more about the MS CPD
Cost & Financial Info
MS CPD Accreditation
Program is accredited from Dec. 1, 2020—Dec. 31, 2028 by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND).
ACEND contact infomation:
120 South RIverside Plaza, Ste 2190
Chicago, IL 60606-6995
(800) 877-1600 ext. 5400
NEP Academic Coordinator