The Master of Science Coordinated Program in Dietetics, Nutrition and Exercise Physiology (MS CPD) is designed for students whose career goals are to become eligible to take the Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) exam, administered by the Commission on Dietetic Registration through the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Graduates of the MS CPD are expected to function effectively as entry-level dietetics practitioners in a clinical, management, and community setting. The supervised practice experience requirement prior to the exam is 1,200 hours, which consists of 440 hours in a clinical rotation, 160 hours in a food management rotation, 200 hours in a community rotation, and 400 hours in an exercise internship.
WSU MS CPD MISSION STATEMENT
The mission of the WSU MS CPD is to prepare competent dietetic practitioners who promote optimum health and wellness for individuals and communities through the integration of nutrition and exercise physiology in a variety of dietetic career paths.
The program will:
- Prepare graduates to be credentialed entry-level dietitians
- Prepare graduates to test for certification as an American College of Sports Medicine Certified Exercise Physiologist (ACSM-EP®)
- Prepare graduates to positively contribute to the health of individuals and communities through active participation and/or leadership in community/public service
- Program retention and completion rates
- Statements of satisfaction from students and preceptors regarding the knowledge and skills demonstrated during the supervised practice experiences;
- Pass-rate on Registration Examination for Dietitians and ACSM-EP® certification;
- Satisfaction from surveyed graduates and employers indicating that an integrated exercise and nutrition background is advantageous for professional advancement; and
- Level of desire expressed from surveyed graduates to participate in community/public service activities and/or serve in leadership positions in professional organizations.
Program Measurable Outcomes
- At least 80 percent of the MS CPD students who have met the prerequisite requirements will complete the program in two academic years or within 150 percent of the time planned for completion.
- Graduates who elect to take the RDN exam will achieve a first-time pass rate of at least 80 percent over a five-year period.
- Of those graduates seeking positions in dietetics, 70 percent or more of MS CPD graduates who sought employment in dietetics will be employed within three months of program completion.
- At least 90 percent of MS CPD graduates will rate the exercise internship as advantageous in obtaining employment.
- Eighty percent of community and clinical preceptors will rate as advantageous “3” or above that MS CPD students who have the interdisciplinary knowledge, skills, and abilities of nutrition and exercise physiology disciplines bring unique skills to their experiential training.
- At least 80 percent of all surveyed graduates from the MS CPD will rate having the interdisciplinary training in exercise and nutrition as advantageous “3” or above when working with patients or clients.
- Graduates who choose to test for ACSM-EP® will achieve a first time pass rate of at least 70 percent over a three-year period.
Outcomes data is available upon request from MS CPD Director, Dr. Janet Beary, email@example.com.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Apply scientific and evidence-based practice guidelines that integrate scientific information that translates research into practice.
- Meet professional practice expectations utilizing beliefs, values, attitudes, and behaviors for the professional dietitian nutritionist level of practice.
- Apply clinical and customer services through development and delivery of information, products, and services to individuals, groups, and populations.
- Develop and deliver nutrition services including information and products to individuals, groups, and populations.
- Practice management and use resources that strategically apply principles of management and systems in the provision of services to individuals and organizations. Strategically apply principles of organizational and resource management in the provision of nutrition services to individuals and organizations.
- Meet the curriculum requirements to attain breadth and depth of the required core knowledge and experiential competencies to become a credentialed registered dietitian nutritionist.
NEP Academic Coordinator
Learn more about the MS CPD
Cost & Financial Info
MS CPD Accreditation
Program is accredited from Jan. 1, 2010-Dec. 31, 2020 by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND).
ACEND contact infomation:
120 South RIverside Plaza, Ste 2190
Chicago, IL 60606-6995
(800) 877-1600 ext. 5400