MS CPD Accreditation
The Master of Science Coordinated Program in Dietetics, Nutrition and Exercise Physiology (MS CPD) is designed for those individuals whose career goal is to become eligible to take the registration examination for dietitians through the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
Graduates of the MS CPD are expected to function effectively as entry-level dietetics practitioners in a clinical, administrative, or community setting. The supervised practice experience requirement is currently 1200 hours, which consists of 160 hours in a food management rotation, 440 hours in a clinical rotation, 200 hours in a community rotation, and 400 hours in an exercise internship.
WSU MS CPD Mission Statement
The mission of the WSU MS CPD is to prepare competent dietetic practitioners who promote optimum health and wellness for individuals and communities through the integration of nutrition and exercise physiology in a variety of dietetic career paths.
MS CPD integration with Nutrition and Exercise Physiology Mission Statement
The MS CPD curriculum is integrated with the Program in Nutrition and Exercise Physiology (NEP) by providing students with the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities for a variety of career settings such as: rehabilitation institutes, cardiac rehabilitation, sports nutrition programs, medical centers, nutrition clinics, community, worksite wellness programs, food-service management, and healthcare supervision and promotion. The MS CPD seamlessly aligns with the overall mission statement of the NEP program.
MS CPD NEP Goals
- Goal One: The program will prepare graduates to be credentialed entry-level dietitians
- Goal Two: The program will prepare graduates to test for certification as an American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) Clinical Exercise Physiologist (CEP)
- Goal Three: The program will prepare graduates to demonstrate a commitment to positively contribute to the health of individuals and communities through active participation and/or leadership in community/public service
Assessment goals for the MS CPD include:
- Program retention and completion rates;
- Statements of satisfaction from students and preceptors regarding the knowledge and skills demonstrated during the supervised practice experiences;
- Pass-rate on Registration Examination for Dietitians and CEP certification;
- Satisfaction from surveyed graduates and employers indicating that an integrated exercise and nutrition background is advantageous for professional advancement; and
- Level of desire expressed from surveyed graduates to participate in community/public service activities and/or serve in leadership positions in professional organizations.
- At least 80% of the BS NEP students who have met the prerequisite requirements and have been admitted into the MS CPD will complete the MS CPD in one academic year or within 150% of the time planned for completion.
- Graduates who elect to take the RD exam will achieve a first-time pass rate of at least 80% over a five-year period.
- Of those graduates seeking positions in dietetics, 70% or more of MS CPD graduates who sought employment in dietetics will be employed within three months of program completion.
- At least 90% of NEP CPD graduates will rate the NEP exercise internship as advantageous in obtaining employment.
- Eighty-percent of surveyed MS CPD community and clinical preceptors will rate advantageous “3” or above for those students who have the interdisciplinary knowledge, skills, and abilities of nutrition and exercise physiology disciplines.
- At least 80% of all surveyed graduates from the NEP CPD will rate having the interdisciplinary training in exercise and nutrition as advantageous “3” or above when working with patients/clients.
- Graduates who choose to test for ACSM CEP will achieve a first time pass rate of at least 70% over a three year period.
All students admitted into the MS CPD will be required to have the ACSM CEP credential or take the departmental exam that assesses the student’s exercise physiology knowledge, skills, and abilities as defined by the ACSM for the CEP certification.