Anna Zamora-Kapoor, PhD
I am an Assistant Professor at the Departments of Sociology and Medical Education and Clinical Sciences at Washington State University and Affiliate Assistant Professor at the Department of Pediatrics at the University of Washington. My long-term goal is to become an independent investigator examining health disparities in maternal and child health and designing interventions to improve health equity. Prior to joining Washington State University, I completed a doctorate at Columbia University and a three-year postdoctoral fellowship at the University of Washington-Harborview Medical Center. During my postdoctoral fellowship, I developed expertise in the social determinants of health, Native health and health disparities, and received eight awards, including the 2014 Transnational Science Research Award of the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases – Network of Minority Investigators. Since then, I have received pilot grants from the University of Washington, Washington State University, the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and I am currently funded through a Research Supplement to Promote Diversity in Health-Related Research from the National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities. In my free time, I read and travel the world with my husband and my daughter.
- Columbia University (Ph.D., M.Phil., M.A.)
- 2016 Awardee, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation – New Connections, Princeton, NJ
- 2017 Awardee, American Academy of Pediatrics, Travel award to present my research at the 7th International Meeting on Indigenous Child Health, in Denver, CO.
- 2017 Recipient, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, Travel Award to attend the 15th Annual Workshop of the Network of Minority Health Research Investigators, Bethesda, MD – declined.
- 2018 Awardee, NIMHD, selected to participate in the Health Disparities Research Institute, Bethesda, MD.
- 2018 Recipient, Washington State University, Leadership Award to travel and participate in the Health Disparities Research Institute at the National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities, Bethesda, MD.
- 2018 Recipient, Washington State University, Advance Transition Award.
- 2019 Awardee, Grant writing Uncovered: Maximizing Strategies, Help, Opportunities, Experiences Program (GUMSHOE), University of Hawaii, Honolulu, HI.
- 2019 Awardee, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, New Connections: Capstone Symposium, New Orleans, LA.
- Zamora-Kapoor A, Nelson L, Buchwald D, Walker L, Mueller B. Pre-eclampsia in American Indians/Alaska Natives and Whites: The significance of body mass index. Maternal and Child Health Journal, 2016; 20(11):2233-2238. PMID: 27461024
- Zamora-Kapoor A, Omidpanah A, Monico C, Buchwald D, Harris R, Jimenez N. The Role of Language Use in Reports of Musculoskeletal Pain among Hispanic and non-Hispanic White Adolescents. Journal of Transcultural Nursing, 2017, 28(2):144-151 PMID: 26682571
- Zamora-Kapoor A, Moreno J, Schain M. Race and ethnicity in context: International migration, political mobilization and the welfare state. Ethnic and Racial Studies, 2017; 40(3):353-368.
- Zamora-Kapoor A, Omidpanah A, Nelson L, Kuo A, Harris R, Buchwald D. Breastfeeding in infancy is associated with body mass index in adolescence: A retrospective cohort study comparing American Indians/Alaska Natives and Non-Hispanic Whites. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 2017, S2212-2672; (16)3: 1448-4. PMID: 28082060
- Zamora-Kapoor A, Fyfe-Johnson A, Omidpanah O, Buchwald D, Sinclair K. Risk factors for type 2 diabetes mellitus in American Indian and Alaska Native adolescents: Evidence from Add Health. Preventive Medicine, 2018, 115: 47-52. PMID: 30144482
- Zamora-Kapoor A, Sinclair K, Nelson L, Lee H, Buchwald D. Obesity risk factors in American Indians and Alaska Natives: a systematic review, Public Health, 2019, 174: 85-96. PMID: 31326761