Crystal Lederhos Smith, PhD
Assistant Research Professor
Dr. Lederhos Smith currently holds the position of Assistant Research Professor at the Washington State University Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine. She is experienced in advanced quantitative analytics and multiple forms of qualitative analysis. Broadly, her research addresses Substance Abuse. She has engaged in research in the areas of marijuana, opioids, alcohol, tobacco, and methamphetamine, with a heavy emphasis on marijuana and opioids and a focus on youth and families. Her research has led to collaborations locally, within the Spokane and Coeur d’Alene communities, as well as nation- and worldwide. She has been a Co-Investigator or Research Supervisor on over $7 million in grants and contracts (2 active, 10 completed) over the 6 years she has been with WSU. She has reviewed for 9 journals and currently serves on the Early Career Prevention Network Board as the Lead Liaison for the International Committee.
- Ph.D., Prevention Science, Washington State University, Spokane WA
- M.S., Family and Consumer Science (Summa Cum Laude), University of Idaho, Coeur d’Alene, ID
- B.S., Psychology (Summa Cum Laude), Gonzaga University, Spokane, WA
- Winning team member, Society for Prevention Research Sloboda and Burkoski Cup – 2018
- ICPSR Summer Program in Quantitative Methods of Social Research “The Population Assessment of Tobacco and Health (PATH) Study Data User Workshop: Biomarker Restricted-Use Files” Competitive workshop attendee – 2018
- CPDD Travel Award for Early Career Investigators – 2018
- Washington State University Excellence Award – 2017
- Psi Chi Honor Society – 2008-current
- Gamma Sigma Delta Honor Society, 2011, University of Idaho
Previous Academic and Clinical Positions
Gonzaga University – Spokane, Washington
Clinical Research Supervisor
Washington State University – Spokane, Washington
Mental Health Specialist & Research Educator
Kootenai Behavioral Health – Youth Acute Unit, Coeur d’Alene, Idaho
Psychosocial Rehabilitation Specialist & Service Coordinator
Mental Wellness Clinic of Coeur d’ Alene, Coeur d’ Alene, Idaho
Kootenai Health, Coeur d’Alene, Idaho
- Bayley, B.L., Dizon, E., Shrestha, G., Smith, C.L., Tekle, S., Rhoades Cooper, B. (In Press). Optimizing the Power of Positive Relationships: Which preschool teachers benefit most from a professional development coaching intervention? The Journal of Early Childhood Teacher Education.
- Dyck, D.G., Weeks, D.L., Smith, C.L., Shaw, M. (2020). Multiple Family Group Intervention for Spinal Cord Injury: Quantitative and Qualitative Comparison with Standard Education. Journal of Spinal Cord Medicine.
- Barbosa-Leiker, C., Burduli, E., Smith, C.L., Brooks, O., Orr, M., & Gartstein, M. (2020). Daily Marijuana Use During Pregnancy in a State with Legalized Recreational Marijuana. Journal of Addiction Medicine.
- Burduli, E., Smith, C.L., Tham, P., Shogan, M., Johnson, R.K., McPherson, S. (2019). Development and Application of a Primer and Reference Assessment Tool for Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome: A Phase I Pilot Study. Contemporary Clinical Trials.
- Smith, C.L., Jenkins, G., Burduli, E., Tham, P., Miguel, A., Roll, J., McPherson, S. (Under Review). Crossover Associations of Alcohol and Smoking, Craving and Biochemically Verified Alcohol and Nicotine Use in Heavy Drinking Smokers. The American Journal on Addictions.
- Mamey, M.R., Burns, L.G., Barbosa-Leiker, C., Smith, C.L., McPherson, S. (under review). Parallel growth modelling to better understand smoking with stimulant use outcomes during an integrated treatment trial. The American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse.
- Schwartz, C., Carollo, S., Hahn, L., Brinker, D., & Smith, C.L. (2019) Interprofessional Student Learning: Perspectives gained from outreach in underserved communities in the Amazon region of Peru. The International Journal of Health, Wellness, and Society 9 (3): 49-61. doi:10.18848/2156-8960/CGP/v09i03/49-61. https://doi.org/10.18848/2156-8960/CGP/v09i03/49-61
- Smith, C.L., Vandermause, R., Severtsen, B., Barbosa-Leiker, C., Wilson, M., Roll, J. (2018) Seeking chronic pain relief: A hermeneutic exploration. Pain Management Nursing.
- McPherson, S.M., Smith, C.L., Dobscha, S., Morasco, B., Demidenko, M., Meath, T., Lovejoy, T.I. (2018) Changes in pain intensity following discontinuation of long-term opioid therapy for chronic non-cancer pain. Pain.
- McPherson, S., Burduli, E., Smith, C.L., Herron, J., Oluwoye, O., Hirchak, K., Orr, M.F., McDonell, M., & Roll, J. (2018). A review of contingency management for the treatment of substance use disorders: Adaptation for underserved populations, use of experimental technologies, and personalized optimization strategies. Substance Abuse and Rehabilitation, 9, 43.
- McPherson, S. M., Burduli, E., Smith, C.L., Brooks, O. Orr, M.F., Barbosa-Leiker, C., Hoesktra, T., McDonell, M., Murphy, S., Layton, M. Roll, J. (2018). Predictors of tobacco and alcohol co-use from ages 15 to 32: The Amsterdam Growth and Health Longitudinal Study. Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacology.
- Orr, M.F., Smith, C.L., Finlay, M., Martin, S.C., Brooks, O., Oluwoye, O., Leickly, E., McDonell, M., Burduli, E., Barbosa-Leiker, C., Layton, M., Roll, J. M., McPherson, S.M. (2018). Pilot investigation: Randomized controlled analog trial for alcohol and tobacco smoking co-Addiction using contingency management. Behavioural Pharmacology. PMCID: PMC6035091
- Smith, C.L., Skaer, T.L., Orr, M., Barbosa-Leiker, C. Howell, D.N., Dyck, D.G. (2017) Development of Multi-family Group and Mindfulness treatment for chronic pain: Preliminary outcomes. Musculoskeletal Disorders and Treatment, 3(4). doi: 10.23937/2572-3243.1510042
- McPherson, S., Orr, M., Lederhos, C., McDonell, M., Leickly, E., Hirchak, K., Oluwoye, O.A., Murphy, S.M., Layton, M., & Roll, J. M. (2017). Decreases in smoking during treatment for methamphetamine-use disorders: Preliminary evidence. Behavioural Pharmacology. doi: 10.1097/FBP.0000000000000349 PMID: 29035917
- Neven, D., Paulozzi, L., Howell, D., McPherson, S., Murphy, S., Grohs, R., Marsh, L.,[…] Lederhos, C., Roll, J. (2016). A randomized controlled trial of a citywide emergency department care coordination program to reduce prescription opioid related emergency department visits. Journal of Emergency Medicine, 51(5), 498-507. Full text link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5568539/pdf/nihms893641.pdf
- Dyck, D.G., Weeks, D.L., Gross, S., Smith, C.L., Lott, H.A., Wallace, A.J., & Wood, S.M. (2016). Comparison of two psycho-educational family group interventions for improving psycho-social outcomes in persons with spinal cord injury and their caregivers: a randomized-controlled trial of multi-family group intervention versus an active education control condition. BMC psychology, 4(1), 1. Full text link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4960711/
- McPherson, S., Brooks, O., Barbosa-Leiker, C., Lederhos, C., Lamp, A., Murphy, S., Layton, M., & Roll, J. (2016). Examining longitudinal stimulant use and treatment attendance as parallel outcomes in two contingency management randomized clinical trials. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 61, 18-25. Full text link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4695378/pdf/nihms729684.pdf
- Shaw, M.R., Lederhos, C., Howell, D., Haberman, M., Fleming, S. & Roll, J. (2016) Nurses’ perceptions of caring for childbearing women who misuse opioids. The American Journal of Maternal/Child Nursing, 41(1), 37-42.
- Medina, A.M., Lederhos, C., & Lillis, T.A. (2009). Sleep disruption and decline in marital satisfaction across the transition to parenthood. Families, Systems, & Health, 27(2), 153-160. Full text link: https://ntserver1.wsulibs.wsu.edu:3080/docview/614499947?OpenUrlRefId=info:xri/sid:primo&accountid=14902