Gregory Carter, MD
- University of California, Davis: B.S., M.S. physiology
- Loyola University Chicago, M.D.
Residency & Postgraduate Training
- University of California Davis Medical Center, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research (NIDRR), neuromuscular disease fellowship
- University of Washington, School of Medicine, Mayday Pain fellowship
Past Academic Positions
- Clinical Professor of Rehabilitation Medicine, University of Washington
- Carter GT, Longley KJ, Entrikin RK. Electromyographic and nerve conduction studies in the mdx mouse. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 1992; 71(1):2-5.
- Carter GT, Kikuchi N, Horasek S, Walsh SA. The use of fluorescent dextrans as a marker of sarcolemmal injury. Histo Histopathol 1994; 9(3):443-447.
- Carter GT, Kikuchi N, Abresch RT, Walsh SA, Horasek S, Fowler WM. Effects of exhaustive concentric and eccentric exercise on murine skeletal muscle. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 1994; 75(5):555-559.
- Carter GT, Wineinger MA, Walsh SA, Horasek SJ, Abresch RT, Fowler WM. Effect of voluntary wheel-running exercise on muscles of the mdx mouse. Neuromusc Disord 1995; 5(4):323-331.
- Wineinger MA, Abresch RT, Walsh SA, Carter GT. Effects of aging and voluntary exercise on the function of dystrophic muscle from mdx mice. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 1998; 77(1):20-7.
- Carter GT, Jensen MP, Galer BS, Kraft GH, Crabtree LD, Beardsley RM, et al. Neuropathic Pain in Charcot Marie Tooth disease. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 1998; 79:1560-4.
- McDonald CM, Carter GT, Fritz RC, Anderson MW, Abresch RT, Kilmer DD. Magnetic resonance imaging of denervated muscle: comparison to electromyography. Muscle Nerve 2000; 23(9):1431-34
- Carter GT, Abresch RT, Fowler WM: Adaptations to exercise training and contraction-induced muscle injury in animal models of neuromuscular disease. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 2002;(81)S:151-161.
- Jensen MP, Abresch RT, Carter GT. The reliability and validity of a self-reported version of the functional independence measure in persons with neuromuscular disease and chronic pain. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2005; 86(1): 116-122.
- Han JJ, Carter GT, Ra JJ, Abresch RT, Chamberlain JS, Robinson LR. Electromyographic studies in mdx and wild-type C57 mice. Muscle Nerve 2006; 33:208-214.
- Meekins GD, Carter GT, Emery MJ, Weiss MD. Axonal degeneration in the Trembler-J mouse evident by stimulated single fiber electromyography. Muscle Nerve 2007 ; 36(1):81-86.
- Aggarwal SK, Carter GT, Sullivan MD, Morrill R, ZumBrunnen C, Mayer JD. Characteristics of patients with chronic pain accessing treatment with medicinal cannabis in Washington State. J Opioid Manag 2009; 5(5):257-286.
- Carter GT, Abood ME, Aggarwal SK, Weiss MD. Cannabis and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: practical and hypothetical applications, and a call for clinical trials. Am J Hosp Palliat Med 2010; 27(5):347-56.
- Friedman SD, Poliachik SL, Carter GT, Budech CB, Bird TD, Shaw DW. The magnetic resonance imaging spectrum of facioscapulohumeral muscular dystrophy. Muscle Nerve 2012; 45(4): 500-506.
- Friedman SD, Poliachik SL, Carter GT. Muscle-fat magnetic resonance imaging: applications. Muscle Nerve 2014; (50(2):157-8.
- Weeks DL, Whitney AA, Tindall AG, Carter GT. A pilot randomized trial comparing inter-session scheduling of biofeedback results to individuals with chronic pain: influence on psychological function and pain intensity. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 2015; 94:869-78.
- Karam CY, Paganoni S, Joyce N, Carter GT, Bedlack R. Palliative care issues in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: an evidenced-based review. Am J Hosp Palliat Care 2016; 33(1):84-92.
- Carlini BH, Garrett S, Carter GT. Medicinal Cannabis: A survey among health care providers in Washington State. Am J Hosp Palliat Med 2017 34(1):85-91
- Distinguished Researcher Award: American Association of Neuromuscular and Electrodiagnostic Medicine
- Best Research Paper Published by a Physiatrist: American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Excellence in Research Writing: Association of Academic Physiatrists
- Excellence in Clinical Care: Muscular Dystrophy Association
Dr. Carter is Chief Medical Officer for St. Luke’s Rehabilitation Institute.
Gregory Carter, MD