John Benedict Abano, M.D., FAWM Physician
- Fellow, Academy of Wilderness Medicine, Wilderness Medical Society, July 2015
- Family Medicine Residency Training, Chief Resident, Texas Tech University El Paso, July 2009 – June 2012
- Internship, Philippine General Hospital, May 2004 – April 2005
- De La Salle University School of Medicine, Cavite, Philippines 2000 – 2004 Doctor of Medicine
- De La Salle University, Manila, Philippines 1997-2000
- Bachelor of Science, Medical Physics
- Primary Care Family Medicine, The Everett Clinic, Everett WA, June 2015 – Current
- Clinical Assistant Professor, University of Washington, School of Nursing, May 2017 – Current
- Clinical Assistant Professor, Washington State University, School of Medicine, May 2017 – Current
- Family Practice Preceptorship for ARNP, PA, Premed, The Everett Clinic at Silverlake March 2015 – Current
- No Scalpel Vasectomy International Medical Mission, Cebu, Philippines, February (2016, 2017)
- No Scalpel Vasectomy International Medical Mission, Cap Haitian, Haiti, July (2016)
- Wilderness Medical Society, Everest Base Camp Trek, Nepal, March 2014 – April 2014
- Team Doctor Monroe High School Football Team, Monroe High School, WA, September 2013 season
- Wilderness Medicine Society, Wilderness First Responder, Knoxxville TN, February 2012
- Ethics Committee, University Medical Center of El Paso, TX, September 2010 – June 2012
- Float Pool Medical Hospitalist, The Everett Clinic/Providence Medical Group, Everett WA, May 2014 – June 2015
- Float Pool Provider, Family/Internal Medicine and Walk-in Clinic MD, The Everett Clinic, May 2014 – June 2015
- Treadmill Stress lab, Department of Cardiology, Providence Medical Group, July 2014 –December 2014
- Float Pool Walk-in Clinic Provider, Providence Medical Group, Lynnwood WA, June 2014 – December 2014
- Family Medicine and Walk-in Clinic MD, Providence Medical Group, Monroe WA September 2012 – May 2014
- Research Specialist, Cardiothoracic Surgery Division, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, October 2006 – February 2009, Ischemic Reperfusion studies with mice lungs and microvascular cells. DNA, Protein Studies using Western Blot as well as Cytokine, LDH, Protein Assays. Lung organ retrieval and care.
- Our Lady of Pillar Medical Center, Cavite, Philippines, August 2005 – September 2006 In-patient Physician, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- San Pedro Doctors Hospital, Laguna, Philippines, August 2005 – September 2006 In-patient, Department of Surgery
- Asian Hospital and Medical Center, Alabang, Philippines, July 2006 – August 2006 In-patient Physician, Department of Orthopedics
- Metropolitan Doctors Mission, Caticlan, Philippines, December 2005
- On-call Physician, Primary Care
John originally thought he would be a comic artist, except he can’t really draw. He thought he would sing in a band, but he can’t really sing. He skipped dancing altogether because he can’t really dance. All the while, trying to figure out what to do, he was constantly reading about clinical science and developed a hunger for medical knowledge. Eventually, he had a eureka moment and went to become a doctor.
Born and educated in the Philippines, he finished his training at Texas Tech University. After each stage of his education, he asked himself, what next? He has been recognized as a Fellow in Wilderness Medicine, voted Snohomish Reader’s Choice Physician 2017 and People’s Choice for Family Practice. But nothing seems to be more rewarding than a patient working with him to redefine their lives. He values aiding in clinical progress of patient rather than being recognized. He believes that patients are an equal partner in their care. John practices medicine that makes sense and is inspired by patients with the determination to help themselves.
John loves working with patients but also takes time to travel and work with people on medical missions. John goes on vasectomy medical missions to Haiti and the Philippines yearly as his way of giving back and empowering families. He trekked and supported Everest ER in 2015. Among his travels, his primary goals are to interact with people and learn more about them.
Teaching is something he has slowly grown to. He started with pre-med students, later advising ARNP and PA students. Believing that education works both ways in the relationship.
He is about to finish his dream of visiting all seven continents. He definitely has plans to revisit Antarctica, as he enjoyed that the most.
John values time, family, and happiness above all else.
John originally thought he would be many things. But right now, he is exactly where he wants to be, doing what he was meant to be doing.
“Everything is impossible until somebody does it.” – Bruce Wayne
John Benedict Abano, M.D., FAWM Physician