Faculty and Staff Directory
Susan Kynast-Gales, Ph.D., RDN
Clinical Assistant Professor
- Washington State University, P.h.D in Human Nutrition
- Washington State University, MS in Human Nutrition
- Eastern Washington University, BS in Dietetics
- Spokane Falls Community College,Associate in Arts
Past Academic Positions
- Clinical Associate Professor, Nutrition and Exercise Physiology, Washington State University
- Clinical Assistant Professor, Nutrition and Exercise Physiology, Washington State University
- Research Associate, Food Science and Human Nutrition, Washington State University
- Adjunct Professor, Food Science and Human Nutrition, Washington State University
- Adjunct Instructor, Spokane Community College
- Fleming SE, Boyd A, Ballejos M, Kynast-Gales SA, Malemute CL, Armstrong-Shultz J, Vandermause R. 2013. Goal setting with type 2 diabetes: A hermeneutic analysis of the experiences of diabetes educators. The Diabetes Educator 39(6):811-819.
- Kynast-Gales SA and Massey LK. 2007. Food Oxalate: An International Database. J A Diet Assoc. 107(7):1099.
- Massey LK, Liebman M, Kynast-Gales SA. 2005. Ascorbate increases human oxaluria and kidney stone risk. J Nutr 135:1673-7.
- Chai W, Liebman M, Kynast-Gales S, Massey L. 2004. Oxalate absorption and endogenous oxalate synthesis from ascorbate in calcium oxalate stone formers and non-stone formers. Am J Kidney Diseases 44(6):1060-1069.
- Massey LK and Kynast-Gales SA. 2001. Diets with either beef or plant proteins reduce risk of calcium oxalate precipitation in patients with a history of calcium kidney stones. J Amer Diet Assoc 101(3):326-331.
- Massey LK and Kynast-Gales SA. 1998. Substituting milk for apple juice does not increase kidney stone risk in most normocalciuric calcium oxalate stoneformers. J Am Diet Assoc 98(3):303-8.
- Kynast-Gales SA and Massey LK 1994. Effect of caffeine on circadian excretion of urinary calcium and magnesium. J Am Coll Nutr 13(5):467-72.
- Kynast-Gales SA and Massey LK. 1992. Effects of dietary calcium from dairy products on ambulatory blood pressure in hypertensive men. J Am Diet Assoc 92:1497-1501.
- White J, Massey, LK, Kynast-Gales, SA, Dittus K and Campbell K. 1992. Blood and urinary magnesium kinetics after oral magnesium supplements. Clin Therapeutics 14:678-87.
- Teacher of the Year – WSU Spokane 2013-14
- Teacher of the Year – WSU Spokane 2012-13
- Irwin Dyer Award for Excellence in Nutrition – Washington State University
- Woodville Hagelin Award for Academic Achievement – Eastern Washington University
Research and Specialty Training
- University of North Carolina Chapel Hill – Certificate of Completion short-course in Nutrigenetics, Nutrigenomics and Precision Nutrition;
- National Institutes of Health Office of Dietary Supplements – Certificate of Completion Dietary Supplement Research Practicum;
- Perkin Elmer Instruments – Inductively Coupled Plasma Optical Emissions Spectroscopy Course; Massachusetts General Hospital – Clinical, Administrative, Community and Research Dietetic Internship
- NEP340 Foods with Application to Physical Activity (2005 – present)
- NEP400 Macronutrient Metabolism (2005 – present)
- NEP402 Vitamin and Mineral Metabolism (2006 – present)
- NEP435 Exercise, Diet and Disease (2006 – present)
- FSHN401/501 Applied Nutrition for Health Professionals (1994)