Application deadline has been extended to January 24, 2020.
Applicants to the PhD NEP can have a bachelor’s or master’s degree in any discipline.
They must also have:
- A cumulative GPA of 3.0
- A cumulative GPA of 3.0 in the PhD NEP prerequisite courses
- No grade lower than a C in any individual prerequisite course
PhD NEP Prerequisites
The following prerequisite undergraduate college courses are required. As a general rule, all prerequisite coursework should be no more than seven years old at the time of application. However, each situation is reviewed on an individual basis. Please contact our Academic Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Exercise Physiology (should be complete at the time of application)
- Nutrition (should be complete at the time of application)
- General Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Biochemistry (2 quarters or 1 semester)
Applications for admission are submitted through the WSU Graduate School. Deadline is January 24, 2020. The PhD NEP admits for Fall semester only.
Required Application Materials
- WSU Graduate School Application
- GRE Scores (Admissions Committee is generally looking for Verbal and Quantitative scores at or above the 50th percentile, and a 3.5 or higher on the analytical writing section)
- Personal Statement
- 3 to 4 Letters of Recommendation
- TOEFL, IELTS or MELAB scores, if applicable (Minimum scores and English language proficiency waivers)
Applications are released to the PhD NEP Academic Coordinator following the January deadline. An initial analysis is conducted to confirm completion of prerequisites. Next, the applications are submitted to the PhD NEP Director and Admissions Committee. Each application is read and scored using a common rubric. The Admissions Committee meets to discuss the scored applications and narrow the pool of candidates to a group of individuals they wish to interview for admissions. Interviews are rated using a common point system and the score is added to the overall application score.
Interviews typically take place in February or early March. The top candidates are offered admission by the end of March. A waitlist is maintained in the event that some candidates decline admission.
Learn more about the PhD NEP
Cost & Financial Info
NEP Academic Coordinator