- MCAT Prep: The program will provide a full MCAT course through Kaplan with access following the program.
- Medical School Admissions: This component will include a deep dive into the medical school admissions process with guidance on how to develop a competitive application, mock interviews, personal statement editing/feedback, and presentations by medical school admissions deans from multiple medical schools.
- Supplemental Basic Science Refresher: This coursework will focus on helping RISE Summer Academy students be better prepared to enter medical school. The coursework will be taught by College of Medicine faculty.
- Cultural Engagement and Community Building: This will include learning, activities, and gatherings with the WSU Health Sciences Spokane Native American Health Sciences Office and AIAN clinical faculty.
- Medical Student Mentors: RISE Summer Academy students will have access to medical student to help guide them through the program, answer their questions, and provide support and encouragement.
- Applications must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. PST on April 7, 2023 for consideration to the RISE Summer Academy.
- RISE Summer Academy 2023 will be conducted in a hybrid model.
- Participants will travel to WSU’s Health Sciences campus in Spokane, WA at the beginning of the program (travel and lodging in Spokane will be paid for by RISE). Thoughtful activities, gathering, and program celebrations will be included.
- The weeks after will be held virtually over Zoom and other virtual platforms.
Summer Academy Dates: Sunday, June 4 – July 7
Travel days: June 4 & June 16
In-person days: June 5 – June 15
Virtual days: June 20 – July 7
Virtual sessions are tentatively scheduled 8 a.m. – 1 p.m. PST Monday through Friday, with the exception of three evening sessions where participants will have the chance to meet Native physicians. The finalized and detailed schedule will be distributed to accepted participants before the start of the program.
- Cost to attend: FREE
- Coursework including the Kaplan MCAT Prep course and Science Enhancements are covered by the program
- Travel to/from the WSU Health Sciences campus in Spokane
- Room and board during in-person days of the program
- Access to and exposure with medical school faculty, leadership, and students
- Development of Native Cultural identity in medicine and network of Native Physicians
- Coursework and exposure to become a more competitive applicant to medical school
- Direct access to medical school admissions deans and faculty with individual feedback on personal statements and mock interviews
The INMED – RISE program is held in collaboration with:
- Oregon Health and Sciences University School of Medicine
- Northwest Native American Center of Excellence
- Northwest Portland Area Indian Health Board
- University of California Davis School of Medicine
- Washington State University Health Sciences Spokane
Application opens January 30, 2023
Deadline to apply: April 7, 2023 by 5:00 p.m. Pacific Standard Time